We began planning for the Miller Lite Tap the Future program in December 2012 and had to decide on things like how to go about reaching our target audience and, most importantly, how we would make this program a new kind of Miller Time. A big part of that answer would be the Miller Lite Tap the Future Live Pitch events.
After receiving over 2,000 submissions, we narrowed it down to 25 semifinalists representing the five MillerCoors regions. Live Pitch Events were held in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia and Phoenix. The energy in each market was great, with complimentary MillerCoors drinks, music and photo ops. Contestants were nervous, yet excited to be there, the crowd brought great enthusiasm and the networking was amazing!
We got a note from one of the semifinalists in Dallas who let us know how helpful the event was for their team. They benefitted from the networking opportunities, competing with others from their region, and got great feedback on improving their pitch. Being able to interact with “the Shark,” Daymond John, from ABC’s Shark Tank, was an invaluable benefit that I’m happy we’ll be incorporating into next year’s event as well. Working with Daymond John and host Kenny Burns in each market was fantastic. They are hilarious and very accomplished, proving that we don’t always need to be so serious. They made each event exciting and engaging, but still grounded in business.
Awesome entrepreneurial teams pitched at these events, of which five rose to the top - one per region - each winning $20K. These businesses will compete for $250K during the national finals in Chicago this December.
- Borne Digital – This NYC-based crew uses technology to personalize learning and improve the effectiveness of teachers
- Elebev – This trio from Florida created Sfiro Premium Chillers in a mission to make beverages safer
- Hoopla.io – This crew from Missouri helps spread the word for cool local events
- TextPride – This Ohio-based tech crew created an app that offers licensed emoticons for branded content
- The Larell One Step Denture – A California company that makes affordable and accessible dentures
Entrepreneurs move America forward. I’m happy to be part of a program that encourages their success and I’m looking forward to the 2014 program, which will kick off in February. Cheers to entrepreneurship! It’s Miller Time!